bethslistlove

Midnight's Children
Salman Rushdie
Prince Caspian
C.S. Lewis
Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #1)
Spencer Quinn
The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller "My father was a king and the son of kings. He was a short man, as most of us were, and built like a bull, all shoulders. He married my mother when she was fourteen and sworn by the priestess to be fruitful. It was a good match: she was an only child, and her father's fortune would go to her husband.

He did not find out until the wedding that she was simple. Her father had been scrupulous about keeping her veiled until the ceremony, and my father had humored him. If she was ugly, there were always slave girls and serving boys. When at last they pulled off the veil, they say my mother smiled. That is how they knew she was quite stupid. Brides did not smile.

When I was delivered, a boy, he plucked me from her arms and handed me to a nurse. In pity, the midwife gave my mother a pillow to hold instead of me. My mother hugged it. She did not seem to notice a change had been made.

Quickly, I became a disappointment: small, slight. I was not fast. I was not strong. I could not sing. The best that could be said of me was that I was not sickly. The colds and cramps that seized my peers left me untouched. This only made my father suspicious. Was I a changeling, inhuman? He scowled at me, watching. My hand shook, feeling his gaze. And there was my mother, dribbling wine on herself."

I'm amused at myself for having dreaded this novel despite its awards and great reviews. I think I had an unexplored bias against Greek myths--thinking they were dull, I knew them, etc. I am so glad to have overcome the prejudice and tackled this one! As it turned out, it was beautifully written, deeply moving, and made me want to know how much of the text came from other works and myths. [b:The Song of Achilles|11250317|The Song of Achilles|Madeline Miller|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331154660s/11250317.jpg|16176791] is a book of many passions: love, jealousy, pride, greed. Its drama plays out among a colorful and fascinating group of characters and through the marvelous narrative voice of Patroclus, lover of Achilles, disowned and exiled from his own royal family as a boy. His introduction to his family life above reveals much about his powers of observation and description. I loved him and empathized at once.

I did the audible.com version of the book during my commute and can recommend it highly. The narration was clear and well inflected. If you haven't had the pleasure of this novel, grab it soon.